Saturday, January 22, 2011

THE CHOCOLATE ADVENTURE

I need more income to survive, but the thing is that I don't want to work any more than I already am. At least not for anybody else. Does this sounds familiar to you? So, what better motivation to research the perfect part-time job? I want something I can do at home when I choose. Also something fun that doesn't electrocute my brain or drain my blood. Remember that John Mellencamp song, "I need a lover that won't drive me crazy!"? Like that. It also has to be something realistic in the present economy. Nobody has any money.

Kids always want to know why they have to study certain things in school, demanding to know what's the use of it. Here is the use of it: studying history tells us what people want regardless of poverty or riches, war or peace, youth or age. Studying Facebook fine-tunes the answer. The final filter is what I am able and willing to deliver. The answer was partially described by the Roman poet Juvenal as PANEM ET CIRCENSES -- "bread and circuses." Food and fun. In a word, comfort.

To spare you further Venutian circumlocution (a John Gray reference to female verbosity), I will simply announce that I'm going to make chocolate-scented candles. They smell like a delicious comfort food, look pretty, make good gifts, enhance romance, satisfy the primal attraction to fire, and therefore fulfill the PANEM ET CIRCENSES criteria. And they don't cost much and they're environmentally friendly.

I'm using this blog to track my progress. Part of it is for you: if any of you can benefit from my mistakes and successes, I'll be happy. Part of it is for myself: by publishing my commitment to you, I'll boot myself in the ass. If anyone has suggestions, please share them!

One of Anthony Robbins' books urges you to work daily on your goal, even if only in tiny little steps. At the end of the day you can see yourself closer to your goal than you were when you first woke up.

As of this moment, early Saturday afternoon, I've researched the cost and availability of supplies. I dug out an old Walmart candle-making kit, still unopened, from my arts-and-crafts room. The box is open, the directions reviewed, the permanent work station established. Without training, I made some candles a few years ago for fun, but now I know better how to make good quality candles worthy of being in your homes.

I plan to use soy wax made from local soy beans. Available scents I plan to test include milk chocolate, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate fudge, mint chocolate, mocha, and more. A couple of members of my family have graciously offered to work as my scent testers.

This is going to be so fun! It's fun already! I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to have the scent of chocolate in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know when I have something delectable all ready!

    ReplyDelete